I hope you enjoyed my post last week on how to choose your bridal party, because today’s post is all about bridesmaids, including tips on how to choose the right dress, colour coordination for the bridesmaids/groomsmen, latest dress styles, and some inspirational photos.
Fashion for bridesmaid dresses have changed throughout the years, usually the girls would wear the same colour and style dresses. However recently there are some new and exciting trends that brides have implemented into their wedding. First lets discuss the important tips and guidelines:
- Taking into consideration your wedding colour theme, the bridesmaids should be wearing one of those colours.
- Choose a colour that is flattering on all skin tones, you want your girls to look pretty.
- On most occasions, the groomsmen wear ties or waistcoats the same colour as the bridesmaid’s dresses. You could also choose opposite colour contrasts. (i.e purple and pink, orange and cream)
- Be considerate of your bridesmaids feelings, take their opinion on the dresses. However don’t forget that you have a vision of what you want on your wedding day, which you should incorporate into their dresses.
- Choose a style that is flattering on all body shapes. You want your girls to feel confident and comfortable.
- Consider having one set colour, with different style dresses, therefore each bridesmaid can choose the design she is happy with.
- Take into consideration the season in which you are getting married, this would determine the colours/style/ and fabric of the bridesmaids dresses.
Fit & Feel:
- Make sure your Bridesmaids are measured correctly, to avoid alterations & extra cost.
- Taking into account the season, make sure you choose the correct fabric.
- While dress shopping, try to book appointments with your bridesmaids, its good to see them try on different styles & colours.
Budget & Planning:
There is no actual rule as to who pays for the bridesmaid dresses, it is really up to the bride to decide. There are several ways to do this:
- Let each girl pay for her own dress.
- Contribute towards the dress.
- Purchase the dresses, and gift them to the bridesmaids
Personally, I decided to cover the cost of my bridesmaids dresses. Reasons being that my wedding will take place abroad. I consider and appreciate that they will endure the cost of travel.
Once you have decided on a dress, assign the maid of honour to arrange, and organise the ladies.
Latest trends for inspiration:
- Ombre – (Different shades from light to dark.)
- Same colour different styles
- Same style different colour
- Short & Long
- Colour contrasts (pastels)
- Cropped top and skirt
Below are some designs by Sorella Vita. Each dress can be customised to the colour of your choice.
Groomsmen colour Inspiration, by Sorella Vita:
If you would like to see more bridesmaid dresses, check out our Inspirational tab 🙂
(Images on this post are copyrights to their respectful owners, used purely for inspiration)